Sometimes it’s nice to “get away” close to home. You don’t have to worry about expensive airline tickets, filling up your gas tank, packing a week’s worth of belongings (and still forgetting something!), or feeling the pressure to spend every second doing something fun and exciting. If you live in Pittsburgh, you’re in luck: our area was just named one of WalletHub’s top cities for a staycation!
Try These Summer Adventures In Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is known for its summer events, beautiful parks, nationally recognized foodie scene, and energetic downtown, which all contributed to securing the #18 spot on WalletHub’s list, ahead of places like Fort Lauderdale, FL and San Jose, CA. There are plenty of amenities to enjoy in the Pittsburgh area, but these are our top picks.
The heart and soul of the city, Downtown Pittsburgh is the hub of arts, culture, and entertainment. Don’t miss these experiences on your next staycation!
- Attend at least one event. Downtown Pittsburgh hosts 80+ outdoor concerts, crawls, and festivals — including the popular Three Rivers Regatta (August 4-6) — every year.
- Root for the home team at PNC Park. The Pittsburgh Pirates have a number of games at home this summer.
- Picnic by the fountain in Point State Park, or stop by one of dozens of restaurants downtown after exploring this beautiful attraction.
The Strip District
You’ll find plenty of adventures packed into half a square mile in The Strip District. Over the years, The Strip has become the city’s favorite destination for fresh food and coffee, nightlife, and more.
- Visit Pennsylvania’s largest history museum. The Heinz History Center is devoted to inspirational stories about Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania’s rich heritage.
- Grab a bite somewhere delicious. Opt for one of Pittsburgh’s favorites like Primanti Brothers, or savor Latin American cuisine at Gaucho Parrilla Argentina.
- Take a self-guided tour. The Strip District has breathed new life into old warehouses. Pass by residences like Otto Milk Condos, Smallman Place, and The Strip Lofts and you’ll see what we mean!
Most Pittsburgh residents know about the iconic skyline views that you can enjoy from Mt. Washington. But did you know this community is home to some of the area’s best-kept secrets?
- Explore Chatham Village, a cozy neighborhood brilliantly designed around green space. It’s also a National Historic Landmark!
- Grab a bite at “Restaurant Row.” For an unforgettable romantic getaway, try Monterey Bay Fish Grotto. But if you’re craving something sweet, head to Grandview Bakery.
- Bring a picnic to Emerald View Park, where you can lounge on the lawn and soak in the summer sunshine.
The South Side
Though just a stone’s throw from all the amenities of Downtown Pittsburgh, South Side has plenty of staycation destinations of its own.
- Explore East Carson Street. A National Historic District, East Carson Street is packed with shops, restaurants, bars, and eye-catching Victorian architecture.
- Take a scenic cruise. Explore this popular district by bike, by boat, or on amphibious WWII-era cars.
- Jam out to live music. During the summer, Station Square hosts free concerts for all to enjoy!
You’ll Love Living in Pittsburgh!
If you’re relocating to Pittsburgh or want to move closer to all the excitement, you’re going to love it here. We adore this area, and we would love to introduce you to all the fun things to do in the city and in neighboring communities.
Still searching for a place to live? We have you covered — just tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll find properties with all your must-haves. Ready to buy a condo or patio home? Let’s talk! Call us at 724-344-4795.